Section 1: Objective
1. The objective of this regulation is to provide the regulatory requirements, based on international best practices, for the construction and commissioning of nuclear facilities, which will enable the construction and commissioning to be of high safety and quality and consistent with the design and site evaluation requirements of the facility.
Section 2: Scope
2. This regulation applies to the construction and commissioning stages of new nuclear facilities and to major modifications and refurbishments of an existing nuclear facility.
3. The requirements of this regulation apply as such to a holder of a construction license of a nuclear facility, and to an applicant for a construction license, supplier of the facility, contractors and suppliers of safety significant products and their subcontractors, as applicable.
4. The regulation describes the responsibilities of the licensee and suppliers and the prerequisites and management principles governing the construction and commissioning stages. It also presents the requirements with regard to the transfer of responsibilities from construction to commissioning stage and from commissioning to operation stage.
5. The regulation provides the requirements concerning culture for safety for construction and commissioning stages.
6. This regulation is supplemented by the regulation on Licensing and Regulatory Oversight of Nuclear Facilities (NRRC-R-03), the regulation on Leadership and Management for Safety (NRRC-R-04) and the regulation on Design of Nuclear Facilities (NRRC-R-06).
7. The regulation does not cover considerations of nuclear security in the construction and commissioning of a nuclear facility.
Section 3: Definitions
The process where the systems, structures and components (SSCs) of facilities and activities after being constructed, are made operational and verified to be in accordance with the design and that they meet the required performance criteria. Commissioning may include both non-nuclear and nuclear testing.
The entity managing commissioning activities.
Competence is a demonstrated ability to apply knowledge and skills.
A demonstration that specified requirements relating to a product, process, system, person or body are fulfilled.
The process of manufacturing and assembling the components of a facility, carrying out the civil works, the installation of components and equipment and the performance of associated tests.
The organizational entity managing construction activities.
Any individual or organization that provides items or renders services in accordance with a contract or a procurement document. A contractor may be a construction organization, technical support organization, consultant responsible for independent review and assessment, or organization responsible for performing inspections.
The process and the results of developing a concept, detailed plans, supporting calculations and specifications for a facility and its parts.
The process by which a design is evaluated to ensure compliance with the prescribed requirements.
Comprises all those elements of testing, such as inspection equipment and their software, inspection procedures and personnel that are used to perform concerned examination and may influence the quality and outcome of an inspection.
Item important to safety
A system, structure or component (i.e an item) that is part of a safety function and/or whose malfunction or failure could lead to radiation exposure of the site personnel or members of the public..
An organization applying for operating or is authorized to operate an authorized facility and is responsible for its safety.
Operational limits and conditions
A set of rules setting forth parameter limits, the functional capability and the performance levels of equipment and personnel approved by the regulatory body for safe operation of an authorized facility.
The fundamental cause of an initiating event, correction of which will prevent recurrence of the initiating event.
A person or supplier organization that is not in a direct contractual relationship with the licensee or license applicant.
Any person or organization to whom a registrant or licensee delegates duties, totally or partially, in relation to the design, manufacture, production or construction of a source. Supplier refers to an organization or person manufacturing or providing a product.
Technical Services Organizations
An organization that provide expertise and services to support nuclear and radiation safety and all related scientific and technical issue.
The process of determining whether a product or service is adequate to perform satisfactorily its intended function.
The process of determining whether the quality or performance of a product or service is as stated, as intended or as required.